EMF's - WTF?

This is for Deedee in response to her post on Electro Magnetic Fields


I don't have anything to offer on the paranormal effects of EMF's so I'm just going to stick to the science I know.

I have seen allot of data, and read more than a few studies on this subject, along with a lifetime of scientific insight and experience.

Unfortunately (in my humble opinion) almost all of these studies are flawed in some way, as this is a difficult phenomenon to examine objectively.

I wont go into all the details, instead I will try to paint a bigger picture...

Out of thousands of studies over decades, only a few have found any correlation between power lines and illnesses such as TB and lymphoma (or illness of any kind).

Now I am in fact - not a supporter of or a detractor of, the anti EMF movement
But as a scientist, I have to accept the facts.

My problem with many of these studies is that they arose with an agenda, and I find myself having to question their objectivity. (people see what they want to see)

I have found that truly objective studies have all encountered the same difficulty.
A difficulty that was surprising to some, but was expected by me

This is a very difficult phenomenon to isolate and measure with any sort of accuracy, as there are so many complicating variables to take into account, and I myself believe that we have not yet discovered what the bulk of these variables might be. (diet, water quality, air quality, work environment, radioactivity, ultraviolet light, ULF's, RF's, microwaves, allergies, insects, ecosystems etc etc etc...)

There is no way to study the effects of EMF's on a community with complete accuracy or certainty, because there is no way to remove the community to something like laboratory conditions, there is no way to eliminate the variables, there is no "control group"

The real issue here - and the real danger - is one of understanding
EMF's don't have to be so misunderstood.
You don't need not go back to college

The truth is we are ALL exposed to EMF's
ALL of the time
It is simply a matter of intensity
Intensity is determined by current
But the biggest factor - is PROXIMITY

EMF's are generated by electricity flowing through wires and electronic devices (among other things)
That means they are in your home, your car etc...
(yep even in your electric blanket)

These fields dissipate quickly over distance.
Someone standing directly under the power lines would be subjected to a rather strong field of energy
But someone standing 100 yards away would experience a very weak field.

Think about that the next time you hold you cell phone up to your head...

Which brings me to my most important point (to me anyways)

EMF's likely do play a roll in causing illness, but it is also likely that they do not do so acting alone.

Since the early part of the last century we have been subjecting ourselves to an increasing amount of intrusive energies.

Aside from the normal background radiation, and the occasional gamma ray or neutrino from space, we have added

Radio & Television waves
Microwaves
Electro magnetic fields
Radioactive particles
Ultra low frequency sounds
Ultra high frequency sounds
Cell phone transmissions
Among other things

All of these energies pass right through your home
Your body
Your brain...
And in ever increasing amounts.

It would seem highly unlikely that this would not have an effect on your health


To single out high tension power lines as a culprit seems to me to be very short sighted and irresponsible.

This is like the advertising campaign going on in my country to alert me to the dangers of second hand smoke, as the air outside my window is slowly being turned to poison.
Second hand smoke is not healthy - I'm sure.

But compared to the effects of strip mining & burning coal for electricity
Compared to industrial air pollution
Compared to what comes out of the tailpipes of the millions of cars on the road
It seems to be a bit trivial...

3 comments:

Deedee said...

Excellent, Bobbb. Thanks for your input!

Citizen of Earth said...

No prob Deedee

Food for thought:

At the frequency range of RF - UHF radio & TV, The Earth outshines the rest of the Milky Way galaxy - combined
Watchers from afar will certainly be wondering WTF is going on here

In the right conditions you can light a standard 40 watt fluorescent tube by simply orienting it properly in the field of high voltage power lines - connecting it to nothing

Transmitting electricity over long distances via high voltage power lines is very wasteful
I'm not sure I want to explore new so called "green" energy while we are wasting something on the order of 38% of what we produce.
Couldn't we at least try turning off some lights at night?

Many scientists believe that the ever increasing, ever encroaching use of cell phones and wireless communication plays a role in the mysterious decline of the worlds honeybee populations.
If this is true, then I am truly disheartened. From what I have seen in this country, people will NOT be willing to give up their cell phones and blackberries simply to save the honeybee - Not even if it means starving to death

meetu said...

excellent analysis .