We Are Not Alone

Give me that Olde Tyme religion
You know the kind
Orthodox, fundamental, unyielding, extreme
The stuff countries are made of
Wars too
Sometimes

I have been pondering lately
Our need for religion
So I decided to ask god

This was not unusual
I ask god many things
Sometimes I try to think
What god would say
In answer

Once in a while though
I don’t have to…

The answer came
Before I could even finish the question

Free Will

Everything humanity does
It does with free
will

You are all
One
one family

One people

Humanity

All your history
Is but a brief moment
In time
And already you have forgotten this


You look for ways to make
yourselves different
For reasons to disagree
And religion has been no exception.

You look to me
Call upon me
Pray to me

But it is not mine to say
What shall or shall not be
For
my gift to you has been
And will always be

Free Will

And in giving you this
I myself am diminished
And you
are empowered

For you cannot have both
Do not ask me
to explain man
Why does man need religion so?
Why this need
To worship me?

My own answer surprised me
With it’s brevity, depth, and quickness

I think it is because we are lonely

So do I, said god
And it saddens me
For you have not only myself
But also
Each other

Rather than embrace humanity
You embrace
such things as
Nationality
Ethnicity
Religion…

You don’t need me
You have each other

My response was immediate

I have long understood this
But I feel it runs deeper

As we learn to see
With your eyes
Hear
With your ears
Touch
With your hand

We find the universe to be
A vast unimaginable place
And we are so very
Very
Small

We are lonely
As a species

Besides your wisdom
There is no sounding board
No mirror
For us to hold discourse
To put our intellect
To the test

Not so
I marvel at man
Scanning the heavens
Searching the
universe
For intelligent life
While there are so many species
Right
here on Earth
As intelligent as you
Some perhaps
More
so

And you have scarcely acknowledged them
Other to enslave them
Or to hunt them

Some discourse indeed

Have you
even bothered
To learn how to communicate with them?

As you scan
the heavens for intelligent life
You are exterminating all traces of it
Right here on Earth

So you see
You are not
alone

But you will be


You will be

7 comments:

The Clandestine Samurai said...

Eh. I believe religion means different things to different people. I also believe that it is not religion itself that causes war, it's people different perceptions of it that conflict with each other. And it's people continual intolerance of each other that keep the wars going.

I definitely agree that Christ wanted us to use our free will, but I also think He wanted us to use it with some morality and culture.

But, most importantly: "Free Will

And in giving you this
I myself am diminished
And you
are empowered"

This is such a profound and controversial statement, that it would take me an essay or two to give my opinion on it.

But nevertheless, the key point here is that we are all children of God.

Lydia said...

Just found this. And loved it.

Lynn said...

I like the idea of not having to be alone...there are so many of US out there we have only to pick up the phone, get on the computer, or walk a few steps out our door to greet a neighbor not to have to be alone.

I am sometimes alone
feeling
in my own heart
and sometimes I like
being alone
it's okay

My head is filled with thoughts
ideas
memories
hopes
dreams
that is NOT being alone

I did a group religious jaunt for about ten years and loved it
loved the community
loved the music
loved the feelings of comfort
it gave me
why don't I feel the need for that anymore?
Or NOW?
Maybe at a later time
again.

Will I ever really be alone alone
or lonely?
Good question.
Life will tell.

human being said...

so prophetic
and impressive
and... beauuuuutiful!

i feel i cannot leave it as it is...
there is an anwswer for you...
answer? oh just the crow's mind sees things in a different way...

i'll let you know about it...
:)

human being said...

hey Bobbb...
the crow's here again... with this:

http://dearteachercrow.blogspot.com/2009/03/micromacrocosmic-view-to-loneliness.html

Erin Davis said...

So very powerful and intriguing. We feel alone, so we embrace orthodoxy and rules over oneness...

Citizen of Earth said...

Erin
Glad you liked this

Welcome to my political side :)